Re: Alerting users to new releases

From: Etienne Prud’homme
Subject: Re: Alerting users to new releases
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 19:35:37 -0400

"Perry E. Metzger" <address@hidden> writes:

> Would it be reasonable if a feature was added to Emacs to alert the
> user that a newer version of Emacs existed? Or would the potential
> privacy issues, even if the check could be turned off, exceed the
> benefit?

I was actually thinking about the same thing!

We could of course allow an opt-in variable that would allow checking
for any vulnerability in the current GNU Emacs version installed, but
most people won’t be aware of it or won’t bother using it.

One way to get around it would be to use the ELPA protocol.  When
downloading packages, there could be a file describing current
vulnerabilities and affected versions.  The client will then warn the
user accordingly and allow displaying a custom message.

--
Etienne