Re: Alerting users to new releases

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: Alerting users to new releases
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 01:37:10 +0200

On 2017-09-12 23:59, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> As it stands, when a security vuln shows up, and a new release gets
> pushed out, there isn't a good way to alert the vast majority of
> users to its presence.
>
> One way such things are handled these days for a lot of projects is
> to have the code periodically check if a newer version of the
> software is available.
>
> Would it be reasonable if a feature was added to Emacs to alert the
> user that a newer version of Emacs existed? Or would the potential
> privacy issues, even if the check could be turned off, exceed the
> benefit?
>
> Perry

I think this would fit nicely in package.el

We could have an emacs-upgrade-notifications package on ELPA. We'd update it
when we release an updated Emacs.
>From its autoloads, the package would announce the new release.
People would only get the notification if they refresh their package list,
which already involves downloading remote data.

Or we could simply have package.el detect new versions, somehow.

Clément.