Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 5d4c539: Add lcms2 interface

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 5d4c539: Add lcms2 interface
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 12:23:34 -0400

>> >     configure.ac: Add boilerplate for configuring and detecting liblcms2.
>> Can't this be a module?
> Only if we don't want this functionality in Emacs where the library is
> available.

Hmm... indeed I now see that liblcms2 is already linked into Emacs if we
use the Gtk GUI.  It's not linked if you use the Lucid GUI, OTOH.

> To me, modules are for users to extend Emacs, not for us to add
> functionality.

That's one of the benefits.  The other is that you don't need to choose
at compile-time which libraries will be (and have to be) available at
run-time.

In Windows, we already do dynamic-loading of libraries such as gnutls,
so the issue is less serious, but in GNU/Linux it's always a hassle.

> It makes very little sense to have anything that is in
> core via modules.  I see only disadvantages there: the code is much
> less readable, and has more limitations on what it can do.

That calls for improving the module system, not circumventing it.

        Stefan