Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 5d4c539: Add lcms2 interface

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 5d4c539: Add lcms2 interface
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 22:24:42 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 12:23:34 -0400
>
> > To me, modules are for users to extend Emacs, not for us to add
> > functionality.
>
> That's one of the benefits.  The other is that you don't need to choose
> at compile-time which libraries will be (and have to be) available at
> run-time.
>
> In Windows, we already do dynamic-loading of libraries such as gnutls,
> so the issue is less serious, but in GNU/Linux it's always a hassle.

I think we should indeed welcome patches to migrate to a similar
dynamic-loading scheme on Posix hosts.  Most of the code can be simply
lifted from the Windows port, with minimal changes.

> > It makes very little sense to have anything that is in
> > core via modules.  I see only disadvantages there: the code is much
> > less readable, and has more limitations on what it can do.
>
> That calls for improving the module system, not circumventing it.

That would be welcome as well, but the issues were identified long
ago, and no one volunteered to work on that until now.  Moreover, I
understand some of us actually think it would be wrong to go that way.