Re: master 739593d 3/5: Make gnus-copy-file act like copy-file etc.

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: master 739593d 3/5: Make gnus-copy-file act like copy-file etc.
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 13:07:47 -0700

On 09/13/2017 12:33 PM, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
Breaking this ages-old (and convenient) behaviour doesn't seem like a
good idea to me either.

It's an area where convenience and security collide. I'm open to suggestions to restoring convenience, but would rather not see security holes reintroduced. In mu use I haven't found significant loss of convenience (I normally use tab completion, and so type the same characters as before), but of course my experience is not everybody's (among other things, I don't use Gnus). So it'd be helpful to know typical use cases that are causing significant problems.

As a simple and dumb example, if people have "/ t m p RET" hardwired into their fingers, we could make an exception for "/tmp" without losing security. On real-world hosts the security problem can occur for subsidiary directories of /tmp, but not for /tmp itself.