Re: Emacs master, security concernes, ms-windows

From: Fabrice Popineau
Subject: Re: Emacs master, security concernes, ms-windows
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 17:56:46 +0200

Fabrice Popineau <fabrice.popineau@centralesupelec.fr> writes:

> At the moment, any libpng.dll (for example) on the PATH can be loaded by
> emacs.
> With this restriction, only the one provided with an emacs package will be.
>
> I came to 'fix' this because I am using the Anaconda Python distribution
> which also
> provides its own set of dlls. At some point I got a failure because their
> dlls got loaded,
> instead of the mingw64 ones.

I suffered a similar problem on the past.

The real concern about this patch is that it raises quite a bit the
minimum supported OS version, which is a big no-no, AFAIK.

Although I'm not sure what happens if you pass an unsupported flag to
LoadLibraryEx.

It is possible to implement your idea by using explicit paths.

Yes, emacs could itself decide where to look for these dlls.
At least for the ones  that are non system.
And the system ones should be looked for only in the System32 directory.

I know that my patch was a radical one. I mainly wanted to raise the issue.

Fabrice