Any way to override a single key binding within a minor mode when bindin

From: Robert Weiner
Subject: Any way to override a single key binding within a minor mode when binding made in a text property?
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 15:49:08 -0400

I haven't found any prior discussion of this topic.

Helm sets up a minor mode, helm--minor-mode, with most of the keys it binds.  But it binds mouse keys to text properties in its completion buffer.  I would like to override just specific mouse key bindings when a variable is set to a certain value and then revert to the original mouse key bindings when the variable is not set to that value.

The problem is there is no normal key map that can show just specific keys from minor modes and text properties as far as I can tell.

I have tried using overriding-local-map but that is too heavy as it eliminates many other key bindings that I want to stay in place and it affects all modes.

I would like a way to just shadow/override specific keys from a text property map and only when a particular minor mode (or even major mode) is active and leave other key lookups as is.  Is there any way to do this short of replacing the bindings within the text properties themselves?

If not, this seems like a useful feature to consider, i.e. a shadow map that shows specific keys rather than entire keymaps.

Thanks,

Bob