Re: Why wasn't the 25.3 release based on the then-head of the emacs-25 b

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Why wasn't the 25.3 release based on the then-head of the emacs-25 branch?
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2017 09:23:22 +0300

> From: Glenn Morris <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 16:30:46 -0400
>
> I've just noticed that the Emacs 25.3 release seems to be literally just
> the 25.2 release plus the enriched changes. Specifically, it seems to be
> based on 784602b. Why wasn't it based on b638993? There were very few
> changes in the emacs-25 branch post 25.2, and I don't see why they were
> omitted.

The emacs-25 branch included a couple of non-trivial code changes post
25.2, which were not widely tested.  In fact, I'm guessing that no one
actually used the branch, once 25.2 was released, more than just start
it up and maybe run the tests.  In these conditions, making 25.3 from
the branch tip would mean there would have to be a pretest or an RC,
which would have delayed the release considerably.  Doing that was
inconsistent with the sense of urgency shared by everybody of the
Emacs 25.3 release.

I thought I wrote all that here, but I see now it was off-list, with
John, Richard, and Paul.  Sorry about that, but it became hard to
track the addressees at that point among the storm of messages with
similar Subjects.