Re: JSON/YAML/TOML/etc. parsing performance

From: Mark Oteiza
Subject: Re: JSON/YAML/TOML/etc. parsing performance
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2017 12:02:10 -0400

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> I wanted to ask if there's any chance of improving the parsing
> performance of JSON, YAML, TOML, and similar data formats. It's pretty
> poor today.
>
> That could be done in the core with C code, improved Lisp code,
> integration with an external library, or a mix of those.

There are a ton of external libraries for parsing JSON, many of which
have lots of high level functions for dealing with it--at the cost of
being forced to use their object system.  I had a go at integrating
jansson but had issues.

I'm fond of this JSON tokenizer, alas AIUI we cannot use it without
copyright assignment:
https://github.com/zserge/jsmn

I'm interested in JSON parsing in core, and to that end I'm learning
Ragel to generate a parser.  This could take a while, though :)