pdf-view removed from mailcap.el

From: N. Raghavendra
Subject: pdf-view removed from mailcap.el
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2017 16:07:51 +0530

It looks like commit c3445aed5194 removed the element

("pdf"
  (viewer . pdf-view-mode)
  (type . "application/pdf")
  (test . (eq window-system 'x)))

from `mailcap-mime-data', with the commit message

* lisp/net/mailcap.el ... (mailcap-mime-data): Remove some entries for
ancient functions.

Support for pdf-view was added fairly recently, in commit 931e7babcb81
on 2015-02-23, and pdf-tools is an active project, so removing it along
with other old functions was perhaps an oversight.  I certainly use it,
and I've seen queries on the Web about using pdf-view in Gnus, so there
are others who seem to be using it too.  So I suggest adding it back to
`mailcap-mime-data'.  Meanwhile, I've added it to
`mailcap-user-mime-data' in my init file as a temporary fix.

Cheers,
Raghu.

--
N. Raghavendra <address@hidden>, http://www.retrotexts.net/