Re: pdf-view removed from mailcap.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: pdf-view removed from mailcap.el
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2017 18:37:40 +0300

> From: Kaushal Modi <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2017 14:59:16 +0000
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> It would be great if it is encouraged then.

I think it already is, as we surely don't discourage that.

> If each committer makes sure to merge their commit, others don't have to
> review if they are merging others'
> commits correctly. I can talk of my experience in Org repo.. after my commits
> to the maint branch, all I need to
> do is check out master and do a merge.. as simple as this in Magit: "b b"
> (checkout master) "m m" (merge
> maint).

It's not that easy in Emacs, see gitmerge.el and the references to it
in CONTRIBUTE.

> One doesn't need to be a "champion" as they are just making sure that their
> commit is landing in master too.

It's more complicated than that, unfortunately.  Even experienced
people made mistakes with that, so I guess it's not as easy as in
other projects.  Specific suggestions for how to make the process
better will be welcome, I'm sure, but please study the existing
documentation and code first.

> Would you consider documenting and at least recommending this flow?

What we thought needed to be documented is in CONTRIBUTE already.