Re: Suspicious warning in W64 build

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Suspicious warning in W64 build
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2017 10:07:42 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
UNINIT looked inappropriate to initialize a Lisp_Object which is
supposed to be a number.
No, it's appropriate. UNINIT is merely a declaration directive. It tells GCC "This variable is not initialized and that is OK; don't warn me about it, I know that the initial value is never used even though you may not know." The current UNINIT implementation would still work even if we were to change the Lisp_Object representation so that all-zero would become invalid, because UNINIT declares that the invalid value will not be used.

No code should depend on UNINIT initializing to zero, as this is not true in general.

Although args[0] stops GCC from complaining, it is less useful than UNINIT because it will make cleanup more difficult in the future. We're already using UNINIT for Lisp_Object variables elsewhere, so we already know it's safe to use here.