Re: JSON/YAML/TOML/etc. parsing performance

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: JSON/YAML/TOML/etc. parsing performance
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2017 21:08:10 +0300

> From: Philipp Stephani <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2017 16:22:12 +0000
> Cc: address@hidden
>
>  I'm not sure I follow: are you agreeing with me or are you
>  disagreeing? If the latter, can you elaborate why you think we
>  shouldn't add a JSON library to the Emacs sources, like with do with
>  lwlib?
>
> I can't find the sources now, but I dimly remember that adding the code
> directly to the Emacs tree would
> require copyright transfer to the FSF, and we only make an exception to this
> for lwlib because it's not
> otherwise maintained.

I thought Richard just said we didn't need an assignment in such
cases, but maybe I misunderstood.

> A possible middle ground would be to link it statically, then only the
> machines that run Emacs builds would
> require it.

This could be problematic because AFAIK linking a single library
statically requires to name its file name explicitly, rather than just
adding -lLIBRARY to the link command line.

And if I understand Glenn's objections correctly, linking statically
is not different from bundling.