Re: About curly quotes (again) [Was: Emacs 26.1 release branch created]

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: About curly quotes (again) [Was: Emacs 26.1 release branch created]
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2017 21:09:25 +0000

Hello, Kaushal.

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 20:54:47 +0000, Kaushal Modi wrote:

> FWIW I am one of the happy users of curly quotes.

That's great!  I've no problem with that.

What I do have a problem with is that normal users don't get to chose.
They have curly quotes foisted on them whether they want them or not.
The only way to disable them, setting text-quoting-style, you are
darkly, and unnecessarily, warned against using by the sentence in
Emacs-25 NEWS which says "As the variable is not intended for casual
use, it is not a user option."

Can you think of any reason why text-quoting-style isn't suitable for
"casual use", whatever that is?  No?  Neither can I.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).