Re: Win32 GnuTLS DLL installer?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Win32 GnuTLS DLL installer?
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 17:49:32 +0300

> From: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 10:28:03 -0400
>
> (A possible use case for the security-patches package/repo/mechanism
> could be to check the DLL version and notify the user if it's outdated.

How do you define "outdated"?  GnuTLS developers maintain 3 branches
in parallel, and release versions from all the 3 branches.  Which one
should we follow, and does any N+1 release from that branch mean that
the N release is considered "outdated" and should be replaced?

Moreover, accommodating a new version of GnuTLS might mean changes to
Emacs C and/or Lisp sources -- are we going to release patches to
the core sources through ELPA or something?

IOW, this sounds like a major undertaking on our part, and I'm sure
more and more issues will pop up as we consider the implications.  I'm
not sure we want to become a de-facto "distro" for MS-Windows users,
as I don't think we have the resources, even if we have the desire.