Re: Emacs 26.1 release branch created

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Emacs 26.1 release branch created
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 19:09:53 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> put a few finishing touches or additions to those features, please ask
> here before pushing further changes that are not bugfixes.)

I noticed that the emacs-26 branch contains a half-baked version of the
flymake.el rewrite that I'm working on. More than a month ago, I asked
here whether this work, that I prematurely and mistankenly pushed to the
then-master branch in error, should be reverted.

Stefan said it "was going in the right direction", so it wasn't
reverted. The finished work isn't quite ready yet, so now I see these
alternatives:

1. Either the half-baked work is reverted in the emacs-26 branch; or

2. It is left in as-is. This is not recommended. Although
   it doesn't break any compatibility I know of, it's not good work
   at all. Among other things, it introduces a user-visible variable that I got
   rid of in the meantime.

3. "A few finishing touches" aka "makeup on a pig" are applied.

4. The bulk of my flymake rewrite somehow makes it into emacs-26 in
   time. It would be nice to see it in a release, but it's certainly not
   "a few finishing touches"

5. ?

Sorry for noticing this so late in the process.

The flymake rewrite is progressing quite nicely in the
scratch/flymake-refactor branch. It is mostly ready for review, I will
post here very soon.

João