Re: module documentation draft

From: Aurélien Aptel
Subject: Re: module documentation draft
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2017 23:51:36 +0200

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 10:25 PM, Philipp Stephani
<address@hidden> wrote:
> It would be great if we could have comprehensive documentation in the ELisp
> manual in Emacs 26. So it would be great if others (especially the
> maintainers) could review these two documents. Please focus on the content
> during the first pass, not on stylistic or editorial issues.

I remember finding a couple of mistakes from copy/pasting and typos
but otherwise I think the structure is good.
I'll make a PR to fix those.

I think it would be nice to have full of a properly written simple
module as an example. Perhaps my tutorial could be a start. I know the
makefile is not portable but it's something.

Also Chris Wellon has written 2 posts about how he used modules. It
provides a good feedback, I'd suggest reading those (I think he wrote
them *before* you wrote the docs):

http://nullprogram.com/blog/2016/11/05/
http://nullprogram.com/blog/2017/02/14/

In the second one in particular he uses unix signals as a way to do
async communication from a module function. I think it's really
interesting. It reminded me of the discussions we had elsewhere with
Tom Tromey about adding a way to push special events in emacs event
queue to do something similar.

cheers,