Re: Make mode-line number display consistent when both line and col numb

From: Colin Baxter
Subject: Re: Make mode-line number display consistent when both line and col numbers are shown.
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 08:02:19 +0100

I do not like this proposal.

    > When mode-line line numbers are on by themselves, L<line-num>
    > appears.  When mode-line column numbers are on by themselves,
    > C<col-num> appears.  When both are on, (<line-num>,<col-num>)
    > appears.

    > The latter is inconsistent and always forces the user to remember
    > which is the line and which is the column number.

There are many things about emacs to remember. Surely, a single
depression of an arrow key is sufficient to remind the forgetful.

    > simple, simply remove the parentheses which are no longer needed
    > and add the prefix character to each number for:
    > L<line-num>,C<col-num>. This makes the display perfectly
    > consistent, easier to read and does not take up any more character
    > space.

With respect, that is a matter of opinion. I find the parenthesis useful
delimiters on the mode-line. Besides, they are present for features
other than line-column numbers.

--
Colin Baxter
address@hidden