Re: Some observations about --with-cairo

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Some observations about --with-cairo
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 11:49:38 +0300

> Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2017 19:13:09 +0900
> From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > Is there a roadmap / task list somewhere?
>
> Roughly speaking, the current cairo code is based on my old code in
>
>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-04/msg00096.html
>
> and Jan's double-buffering code that draws into an image surface.  I
> think a possible next step would be to see if one can drop the latter
> and use Daniel's Xdbe code instead as in the Xlib version.  If this
> works, then it will make the cairo code simpler and more maintainable.

I'm okay with going with your proposal, but please note that XDBE
support has a few bugs of its own, which are not being worked on
either.  So, while going with your proposal would probably make
maintenance easier, my main concern is that I don't currently see
anyone maintaining either of these two features, at least not as far
as fixing known bugs is concerned.

So I'm not sure your proposal will improve the situation with the bugs
related to these 2 features, unfortunately.  And without fixing these
bugs, we cannot in good faith claim these features are supported as
everything else in Emacs is.