Re: changes to message-send-and-exit in Emacs 26

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: changes to message-send-and-exit in Emacs 26
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 19:37:19 +0300

> From: Alex Bennée <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2017 19:42:07 +0100
>
> I'm trying to track down what is happening in Emacs when I call
> message-send-and-exit to send an email from mu4e. I mailed emacs-user:
>
>   Subject: Changes to message-mode and encoding in Emacs26
>   Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2017 16:41:03 +0100
>
> but I suspect the details of encoding need some input from developers.
> So in brief why does the act of sending an email result in:
>
>             character: é (displayed as é) (codepoint 233, #o351, #xe9)
>     preferred charset: unicode-bmp (Unicode Basic Multilingual Plane
> (U+0000..U+FFFF))
> code point in charset: 0xE9
>                script: latin
>                syntax: w      which means: word
>              category: .:Base, L:Left-to-right (strong), c:Chinese,
> j:Japanese, l:Latin, v:Viet
>              to input: type "C-x 8 RET e9" or "C-x 8 RET LATIN SMALL LETTER E
> WITH ACUTE"
>           buffer code: #xC3 #xA9
>             file code: #xC3 #xA9 (encoded by coding system utf-8-unix)
>               display: terminal code #xC3 #xA9
>
> ending up as:
>
>             character:  (displayed as ) (codepoint 4194243, #o17777703,
> #x3fffc3)
>     preferred charset: eight-bit (Raw bytes 128-255)
> code point in charset: 0xC3
>                syntax: w      which means: word
>              category: L:Left-to-right (strong)
>              to input: type "C-x 8 RET 3fffc3"
>           buffer code: #xC3
>             file code: not encodable by coding system utf-8-unix
>               display: not encodable for terminal
>
> Any pointers?

I'm guessing that message-send-and-exit calls message-send in this
case.  Then my suggestion would be to step through that function in
Edebug and see how the message text is communicated to mu4e and how it
is encoded in the process.

In general, I'd suggest to bring some mu4e developer on board of this
discussion, and ask them to describe how mu4e plugs into
message-send-and-exit.