Re: Suggestion to add clickable text activation function to Emacs

From: Robert Weiner
Subject: Re: Suggestion to add clickable text activation function to Emacs
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 12:43:03 -0400

On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 12:27 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something, but how will this be different from
calling the binding of the click?

​The binding of what click?  mouse-1, mouse-2, RET, some other key?  Look at the doc in "(elisp)Clickable Text" and you will see there are many ways to activate such text as explained there.  If we want clickable text actions to be runnable programmatically (no user clicks), then there needs to be a single function that can determine what action a user click would have performed and returns that action or performs it.  In my original message, I noted that push-button does this for buttons, so the issue is the need for one for non-button clickable text.  Does that clarify the issue?

Bob