Re: Make mode-line number display consistent when both line and col numb

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Make mode-line number display consistent when both line and col numbers are shown.
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 20:06:00 +0300

> From: Robert Weiner <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2017 17:56:50 -0400
>
> When mode-line line numbers are on by themselves, L<line-num> appears.
> When mode-line column numbers are on by themselves, C<col-num> appears.
> When both are on, (<line-num>,<col-num>) appears.
>
> The latter is inconsistent and always forces the user to remember which is
> the line and which is the column
> number. Fixing this is simple, simply remove the parentheses which are no
> longer needed and add the prefix
> character to each number for: L<line-num>,C<col-num>. This makes the display
> perfectly consistent, easier
> to read and does not take up any more character space.

We had "Ln Cn" kind of display in Emacs 21 and before, and we changed
that to the current display in Emacs 22.1 (the change itself is from
Aug 2002).  Does it really make sense to go back after 15 years?

If you personally dislike the default display, you can always
customize mode-line-format in your sessions, can't you?

> Patch to Emacs 25.3 included below. For Emacs 26, 2 lines have to change
> rather than one. It is an easy
> manual fix.
>
> Eli, would you change this for Emacs 26? It would be nice to have the
> consistency.

Well, we used to like the current "inconsistency" better.

Thanks.