Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/flymake-refactor b75f7e2: Hook Flymake onto pr

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/flymake-refactor b75f7e2: Hook Flymake onto proper checkdoc and byte-compile interfaces
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2017 17:40:57 -0400

> * lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el
> (byte-compile-log-warning-function): New variable.
> (byte-compile-log-warning): Use it.
> (byte-compile--log-warning-for-byte-compile): New function.

Looking at it, I think it'd be more useful to add
a `display-warning-function` which applies to all calls to display-warning.

> * lisp/emacs-lisp/checkdoc.el
> (checkdoc-create-error-function): New variable.
> (checkdoc-create-error): Use it.
> (checkdoc--create-error-for-checkdoc): New function.xo

As for this one, I see that checkdoc-create-error can be either
"declarative" (it just builds an object, with no side-effect) or not
depending on checkdoc-generate-compile-warnings-flag.
This sounds like checkdoc already has some of the design we need (it
can construct error objects and then return them), but maybe some more
serious refactoring would be needed to make it really work for flymake.
No time to look deeper into it now,

        Stefan