Replies to debbugs not getting to bug author (Was: debbugs#28688)

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Replies to debbugs not getting to bug author (Was: debbugs#28688)
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2017 10:44:10 +0000

Hello all,

I am trying to understand why a reply to a debbugs that I initiated didn't reach my email inbox. I could see that reply only on the debbugs list.

On Wed, Oct 4, 2017, 4:13 AM Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> wrote:

() Kaushal Modi <address@hidden>
() Tue, 03 Oct 2017 21:42:59 +0000

   I just noticed your reply here[1], but I never
   got that email in my inbox.

Probably because i dropped all but the debbugs addr in the reply
and set headers Mail-Followup-To and Reply-To to point there as
well.  Is that a problem?

That seems to have caused the problem. I don't use Gnus, and I don't know how common that practice is.

So I am opening this up to a bigger audience on emacs-devel where more folks can share how they reply to debbugs using Gnus.

Is there a reason to drop all the CC emails? I know that if you do that on debbugs, only the original author will get the reply. The "CC'd" folks don't get auto-subscribed to that list. So it would be a disservice to the people dropped off the conversation.

But I was surprised that even I, the author of that debbugs, didn't get that reply.. probably because of the "set headers Mail-Followup-To and Reply-To" piece?

It's either that this problem happened the first time, or it's the first time of me catching it :)

  (Is there a more idiomatic approach?)

I use a regular email client and just do Reply All. I believe that's playing well with Gnus users too.

(In contrast, in this reply, i include you explicitly in To.)

Yes, I got this reply in my inbox.

Thanks.
--

Kaushal Modi