Re: JSON/YAML/TOML/etc. parsing performance

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: JSON/YAML/TOML/etc. parsing performance
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2017 18:48:04 -0700

On 10/04/2017 02:24 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:
The code snippets I've seen so far in this thread are not enough context to judge whether an exception would be helpful in this case.

Sorry, I looked only at this month's part of the thead. When I went back to last month's I found this:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2017-09/msg01080.html

for which I suggest the attached as a simplification. One idea here is that there is no need for eassert (E) unless there's a genuine doubt that E will be true (in some cases the removed eassert (E) calls were ineffective anyway, due to preceding eassume (E) calls). The patch cuts down the number of integer overflow checks to six in json.c, if I'm counting correctly, and that should be good enough.