Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-26 3db388b: Speed up (format "%s" STRING) and th

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-26 3db388b: Speed up (format "%s" STRING) and the like
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2017 21:47:48 +0300

> From: Kaushal Modi <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2017 17:08:06 +0000
> Cc: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
>  Is it possible this would cause the echo area to be 3-lines high? Also
> noticed that the hydra.el package is
>  unusable after the latest build from emacs-26. My last good build was just
> before the commit related to
>  format change.
>
> OK, I can now confirm that. Reverting just that commit[1] brings things back
> to normal.

Please always provide a minimal recipe to reproduce whatever problems
you see.  For add-on packages, please also provide an explanation why
what you see is problematic.  E.g., in this case, by just seeing the
echo-area messages, I don't quite understand the problem, as I don't
use hydra.

Some minimal details like that are always necessary to understand what
is the problem and how to fix it.

> So it should be reverted on emacs-26 for now?

We don't usually revert commits when they cause problems, we rather
prefer fixing the problems.  I'm quite sure this one will be fixed
soon enough.

Thanks.