Re: Emacs26: Quick thoughts on display-line-numbers-mode

From: Robert Weiner
Subject: Re: Emacs26: Quick thoughts on display-line-numbers-mode
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2017 15:44:54 -0400

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 3:02 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

linum-mode displays line numbers in the left display margin.  I think
usurping the display margins for a display-related feature as popular
as line numbers is a bad idea, because it clashes with other
specialized features which want to use the margins, so I explicitly
coded the native line-number display not to do that.  Therefore, I
will object to having this new display on the display margins, even as
an option.

​Ok.
​​

​​
Separation between the numbers and the text is still kept, by means of
​​
a white-space glyph.

​So could you add a customization option for this glyph that would provide some visual separation, e.g. a hairline or something similar to the visual linum-mode provides?

​​

​​
> Then linum-mode should be removed (maybe add an alias) so there is no confusion as to which mode should
​​
> be used.
​​

​​
I'm waiting for the pretests and the feedback we get to see if this
​​
can be done.  It's possible that in some rare situations the new mode
​​
will be inconvenient or unable to support.  If no such reports come
​​
in, we will indeed retire linum-mode when Emacs 26.1 is released.

​Ok.​

​​
> 2. The mode-line popup menu that displays/hides line and col numbers in the mode=line could be expanded to
​​
> toggle this mode on and off locally and globally, as well as providing options for its various display settings:
​​
> relative, visual and absolute.
​​

​​
I'm not sure I agree.  The mode-line menu is for displays on the mode
​​
line.  The display-line-numbers-mode and its variants can be turned on
​​
or off from the menu bar's Options menu.
I see your point but do think in practice a lot of people would look to the mode-line menu if they could.  Also, having all the options in one place would let people decide which to use at any given point without hunting around.  I know I look at mode-lines a lot more than the menubar.  It would also force a cleanup of the menu item naming so that it was obvious where each option will display its numbers.

​Bob