Re: Emacs26: Quick thoughts on display-line-numbers-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs26: Quick thoughts on display-line-numbers-mode
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2017 08:37:37 -0400

>> If I understand the problem correctly, since orientation depends on
>> paragraph, does that mean line numbers could be on different sides in the
>> same window?
> Yes.  You can see that in action if you visit TUTORIAL.he with
> display-line-numbers-mode turned on.

Oh, wow, I hadn't realized that.  Is that the generally expected behavior?

As a naive user who can't read any R2L scripts, I find this very
unexpected.  I'd have expected/wanted instead the line numbers to always
be on the same side for a given window (tho I admit that I'm not sure
how to turn this rule into an implementable behavior, except maybe by
letting the user decide globally whether line numbers should be on the
left or the right).

But again, I'm just a very naive user who's never bothered by the
current behavior because he never faces such situations anyway.

        Stefan