Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-26 3db388b: Speed up (format "%s" STRING) and th

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-26 3db388b: Speed up (format "%s" STRING) and the like
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2017 18:15:18 +0000

On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 2:06 PM Paul Eggert <address@hidden> wrote:
The .elc files were not the same. However, I think that was a blind
alley, as .elc differences can be benign. The diagnostic was output only
when (format FOO) was called with a long FOO (greater than 235 chars,
roughly) without any % directives in it, and where the (format FOO) call
was either directly from bytecode or indirectly via channels that never
used unbind_to. The Makefile approach didn't byte-compile one of the
files that the package.el approach compiled, and I suspect that the
different path to (lv-message "long format with no % directives")
explained why I didn't reproduce the bug at first.

Thanks. That explains why the hydra needed to have that many elements.. to create the long lv-message. But does it also explain this observation from my earlier email:

> I do not get this error if I remove the head with "<s-SPC>" binding:   ("<s-SPC>" (message "Pressed super space") "Super Space")

BTW I confirm the fix. Thanks!
--

Kaushal Modi