Re: Abbrev suggestions - feedback appreciated

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: Abbrev suggestions - feedback appreciated
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2017 19:18:54 +0200

> Also, someone mailed me about the scenario where there are more than one
> abbrev for the same expansion. Right now, you will get a suggestion to use
> the most recently defined abbrev. I wonder how useful it would be to see
> the full list of abbrevs that might expand to a certain expansion...

I think it's enough to make sure we show the /shortest/ abbrev.

I was able to implement that quite easily. The only worry I have is that
it might be slow, or I know it is slow-er at least since I need to go
through all active abbrev expansions to see if there is any shorter
one. I used benchmark-run 1000 times on one of the core functions though
and it takes less than 0.1 second on my not very new PC, so perhaps I
should not worry. I have very few abbrevs though... Should I be worried
about performance? We don't want the user's typing to be affected by this.