Re: New Flymake rewrite in emacs-26

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: New Flymake rewrite in emacs-26
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 18:03:19 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: address@hidden (João Távora)
>> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,
>>      Mark Oteiza <address@hidden>, Lele Gaifax <address@hidden>
>> Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 17:25:44 +0100
>>
>> > I think yes.
>>
>> OK, IIUC we have copyright assignments for every author besides me
>
> If you are unsure, I can check.

No need I think (Lele Gaifax and Marl Oteiza are two contributors
involved)

> Most of the flags we use are for flagging dubious or erroneous code,
> they should not matter, I think.

I think it’s useful to have Flymake synchronized with these flags, so
that you are notified visually of these problems ahead of a "real"
compilation. FWIW this is what the Emacs Lisp backend already does for
Emacs Lisp sources.

> What compiler flags must be set for Flycheck to work reasonably well
> with a program's sources?  I guess the -I flags, but what else?

For "reasonable" operation, it’s mostly the -I flags, and maybe some
essential -D flags (In Emacs’s case -Demacs, I think).

> (I have never used Flymake, so my questions are ones of a layman in

Fittingly, this is what a sufficiently smart GCC backend could help
change.