Emacs on Ubuntu advice

From: Fabrice Popineau
Subject: Emacs on Ubuntu advice
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 13:55:40 +0200

I have compiled Emacs under Windows Subsystem for Linux, which is Ubuntu 16.04
and I have 2 questions :

- what is the preferred X toolkit if I run emacs-26 from Ubuntu with an ms-windows X server like mobaxterm ? Is it Gtk2, Gtk3 or something else ?

- I have tried Gtk3 and I can't get my preferred font which is Consolas to render perfectly sharp. I have fiddled a lot with various parameters without success. The rendering of the font is quite different from the ms-windows rendering. I don't know to what extent the X server is responsible from the rendering. Any recipe or pointer to what need to be looked at will be welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Fabrice