Re: Emacs on Ubuntu advice

From: Fabrice Popineau
Subject: Re: Emacs on Ubuntu advice
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2017 21:09:02 +0200

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]

  > I have compiled Emacs under Windows Subsystem for Linux, which is Ubuntu
  > 16.04

1. It sounds like this is really the Windows Subsystem for GNU/Linux.

Well, I understand your point but people keep calling it WSL and not WSGL up to now
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/commandline/wsl/about
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Subsystem_for_Linux

2. We try to make GNU Emacs run on various platforms,
but running Emacs on Windows in any fashion
cannot eliminate the injustice of Windows itself.
I hope you find the strength to escape from Windows.

Sincerely : _I don't want to_. Some of us are perfectly happy to pay for what
we get (I praise Windows for its stability).

Back to my original question, I have spent quite a time looking for settings to
get the same crisp rendering of the Consolas font with Emacs-w64 and the one running from WSL
and failed to up to now.

Reminder: WSL is Ubuntu 16.04.
I have fiddled with X resources set up on the command line while running Emacs and I couldn't
get anything better than :

/usr/local/emacs-26/bin/emacs -Q -fn "Consolas-11" -xrm "Xft.dpi:109" -xrm "Xft.lcdfilter:lcdlight" \
 -xrm "Xft.rgba:rgb" -xrm "Xft.hintstyle:hintfull" -xrm "Xft.antialias:1" -xrm "Xft.globaladvance:0" \
 -xrm "Xft.embeddedbitmap:1"  \
/mnt/c/Users/Fabrice/Downloads/0001-Do-not-under-align-pseudovectors.patch

embeddedbitmap does not seem to play any role here btw.
I had to set the dpi to 109 which is the closest value for my 27" 4k display
(xdpyinfo reports 96dpi, but that is too low). If I use 108dpi, then the font
rendering is very bad.
I tried all choices of rgba, hintstyle, lcdfilter but can't get something close to
the native w32 rendering.

Emacs has been compiled with
system-configuration-features is a variable defined in ‘C source code’.
Its value is
"XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES LCMS2"
and
system-configuration-options is a variable defined in ‘C source code’.
Its value is
"--with-modules --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --prefix=/usr/local/emacs-26"

The first of the pictures below is from Emacs-w64 and the second one
is from Emacs-WSL.

So if anybody can suggest some relevant documentation
(I mostly read https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HiDPI
and the fontconfig doc) or better the ideal set of parameters,
or even a reason why what I want to chieve is impossible,
I would be very grateful.

For the record, I can run emacs natively or from WSL using my very
same .emacs.d directory. My init.el is quite large:
address@hidden:~$ wc -l ~/.emacs.d/init.el
5467 /home/fabrice/.emacs.d/init.el
and I have about 170 packages in ~/.emacs.d/elpa which are loaded
by this init.el file.

Best regards,

Fabrice

Images intégrées 1