Re: preferring https: to http: in commit messages for gnu.org

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: preferring https: to http: in commit messages for gnu.org
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 00:07:09 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
I cannot be responsible for every useful URL out there.

The newly-added change does not check for every useful URL, only for URLs to gnu.org or fsf.org. The goal is for developers to have reliable communications from the GNU project itself, even if other sources are less reliable.

Without this change, I need to manually fix the gnu.org and fsf.org URLs in ChangeLog.<N>, which is an annoyance. (Especially since many of these URLs are in my own commit messages. :-)

If you find it really aggravating to put https: before gnu.org URLs in commit messages I could revert the change. I was hoping, though, that this was merely a minor annoyance that simplified maintenance overall.