[ELPA] New package: hierarchy

From: Damien Cassou
Subject: [ELPA] New package: hierarchy
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2017 20:15:04 +0200

Hi,

I would like to add my package 'hierarchy', a library to create and
display hierarchy structures, to ELPA. The hierarchy library has already
been used to implement a json navigator and a Javascript class hierarchy
navigator.

I wrote a blog post describing it on Nicolas' blog:
https://emacs.cafe/emacs/guest-post/2017/06/26/hierarchy.html.

My motivation for proposing this library to ELPA (instead of MELPA where
all my other packages are published) is that some developers might want
to have their hierarchy-dependent package on ELPA. Also, phil-s asked me
to do it: https://github.com/DamienCassou/hierarchy/issues/48.

I propose to put the single-file package hierarchy.el in ELPA and to
keep maintaining the project in a separate repository. I decided to
avoid using subtree or externals because my unit-test file (which is not
included here) depends on buttercup which is not on ELPA.

Longer description:

Creation: After having created a hierarchy with `hierarchy-new',
populate it by calling `hierarchy-add-tree' or `hierarchy-add-trees'.
You can then optionally sort its element with `hierarchy-sort'.

Querying: You can learn more about your hierarchy by using functions
such as `hierarchy-roots', `hierarchy-has-item', `hierarchy-length',
`hierarchy-parent', `hierarchy-descendant-p'.

Navigation: When your hierarchy is ready, you can use `hierarchy-map-item',
`hierarchy-map',
and `map-tree' to apply functions to elements of the hierarchy.

Display: You can display a hierarchy as a tabulated list using
`hierarchy-tabulated-display' and as an expandable/foldable tree
using `hierarchy-convert-to-tree-widget'.  The
`hierarchy-labelfn-*' functions will help you display each item of
the hierarchy the way you want it.

Best,

--
Damien Cassou