Re: Display of Lao script

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: Display of Lao script
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2017 13:13:23 +0200

On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 12:37:14 +0900 handa <address@hidden> wrote:

> In article <address@hidden>, Stephen Berman <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I haven't yet tried a font specialized for Lao, but I did try Symbola,
>> and with that the Lao HELLO example appears as it does in Emacs without
>> m17n-lib and libotf (with one exeption, see below) -- though the font
>> used to display the Lao is not Symbola but DejaVu Sans.  Then I realized
>> what the difference is: Symbola is a variable pitch font, while my
>> default font is DejaVu Sans Mono (also the default with -Q).  And
>> indeed, using DejaVu Sans (not Mono) as the default font displays the
>> Lao as in Emacs without m17n-lib and libotf (but in the latter Emacs
>> it's the same display also with DejaVu Sans Mono) -- with the exception
>> of the character LAO LETTER HO SUNG, which is composed with LAO TONE MAI
>> THO, but in the display, the latter appears over the following
>> character, while in the Emacs without m17n-lib and libotf it appears
>> over the character it is composed with (which I assume is correct).  The
>> other three character compositions in the Lao example appear the same in
>> Emacs both without and with m17n-lib and libotf -- but again, in the
>> latter only with variable pitch DejaVu Sans.  So this does seem to be a
>> problem in the m17n-lib and/or libotf code.
>
> In my environment, Lao can be rendered correctly by Dejavu Sans Mono
> (see the attached image).  Please run Emacs as this, and show me the
> printed log:
>
> % MDEBUG_DATABASE=1 MDEBUG_FLT=1 emacs

Attached.

In your screen shot the displays of the Kannada, Khmer and Malayalam
examples are partly different from the displays in my Emacs:

Do these differences also indicate problems or are they just due to
different fonts (unlike the Lao example, Dejavu does not display these
languages, so I had to install other fonts (shown in the debug output)
to display them).

Steve Berman