Re: Emacs on QNX

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Emacs on QNX
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2017 21:51:07 -0700

Thanks for looking into a QNX port.

Elad Lahav wrote:

There is still a stub that returns -1 and sets errno to
ENOMEM, but the Emacs code doesn't check for that, and interprets the
result as the address 0xffffffffffffffff.

Which part of the Emacs code is that? Is this the call in src/unexelf.c? If so, I can fix that.

To overcome the problem, I wrote a naive implementation of sbrk() in a
dynamically-linked library

Although that's clever, I'm hoping that we can port to QNX the same way we port to Cygwin, as Cygwin already uses a fake sbrk. (Eventually Emacs has got to stop using sbrk, but we don't have an adequate solution to that bigger problem yet.)

Does the attached patch work for you instead?

+    CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -D__NO_EXT_QNX"

Could you fill us on on what __NO_EXT_QNX does? The symbol I see mentioned in public discussions is _QNX_SOURCE. What is the difference between those two symbols, and why is __NO_EXT_QNX preferable here? What happens if you leave it out?