Re: [ELPA] New package: hierarchy

From: Damien Cassou
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: hierarchy
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 10:05:48 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
> Glancing at the code, I wonder how the JSON and Javascript class
> navigators work, tho: do they first convert the original tree to
> a `hierarchy` struct?

they do. That's fast enough for every day use.

> How would it work if you wanted to use it to navigate your local
> file-system (where the complete hierarchy might be extremely and
> costly to create)?

This is implemented here
https://github.com/DamienCassou/hierarchy/blob/master/examples/hierarchy-examples-fs.el.

But, as you expect, this is not usable for a complete file system
(displaying ~/.emacs.d takes 4 seconds on my fast computer).

> Is there some way to construct (and display) it
> lazily?

could you please share your ideas at
https://github.com/DamienCassou/hierarchy/issues/49?

> Looking at the code I get the impression that it would be nice to split
> it into 3 parts:

by parts, you mean files? The code is currently split into pages. I
don't mind separating into files if that's what people want.

> - the `hierarchy` defstruct with associated manipulation functions.
> - the display code.
> - an API between the two, which we could call `tree`, a bit like `seq.el`
>   defining the tree navigation primitives needed by the display code
>   and which could be implemented by all kinds of data types, including
>   the `hierarchy` struct.

it makes sense even though I need to look deeper into it to have a clue
about what this would mean in practice.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st