Re: [ELPA] New package: hierarchy

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: hierarchy
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 08:03:56 -0400

>> How would it work if you wanted to use it to navigate your local
>> file-system (where the complete hierarchy might be extremely and
>> costly to create)?

> This is implemented here
> https://github.com/DamienCassou/hierarchy/blob/master/examples/hierarchy-examples-fs.el.

> But, as you expect, this is not usable for a complete file system
> (displaying ~/.emacs.d takes 4 seconds on my fast computer).

>> Is there some way to construct (and display) it
>> lazily?

> could you please share your ideas at
> https://github.com/DamienCassou/hierarchy/issues/49?

I don't really have any precise idea in this respect.  I'm just thinking
it should be able to display the top-level nodes without looking at the
subtrees if they're not themselves displayed (yet).  Basically, design
it on the assumption that your hierarchy might be your complete
filesystem, yet it should respond "instantaneously".

>> Looking at the code I get the impression that it would be nice to split
>> it into 3 parts:
> by parts, you mean files?

Not necessarily, no: AFAICT your code is currently split into 2 parts,
so my proposal is to add an API based on generic functions between the
two so the display code can be used with other representations of
a tree.

        Stefan