Re: Is there an IT test for a tab-width spacer?

From: Keith David Bershatsky
Subject: Re: Is there an IT test for a tab-width spacer?
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2017 10:10:02 -0700

Thank you, Eli, for looking at this particular thread.

The following link contains a screen-shot of crosshairs at its present stage of
development:

https://www.lawlist.com/images/tab_width_01.png

* The tab-width used in this example is 8.

* Tab is defined in the buffer-display-table as [?» ?\t].

My goal is to create solid horizontal and vertical lines spanning the
window-body-width and window-body-height that tracks PT.

In the screen-shot, we can see that the spacer used for tabs is not always 8.
The tab to the immediate right of PT looks like it has a width of 4.

As we move IT, I would like to know if we can programmatically determine the
width of that adjustable space [associated with a tab] and the corresponding X
and HPOS of the next character.  [Once those values are known, I can place fake
cursors along that adjustable space.]

Do we have to move forwards to the next character to know what the width of
that adjustable space was, or can we obtain that width while IT is still at the
tab.

Thanks,

Keith

DATE:  [10-25-2017 08:02:27] <25 Oct 2017 18:02:27 +0300>
FROM:  Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>