Re: Bug #29083: Is it OK to add a new function to the emacs-26 branch?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Bug #29083: Is it OK to add a new function to the emacs-26 branch?
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2017 16:22:54 +0000

Hello, Stefan.

On Fri, Nov 03, 2017 at 11:35:54 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > However, the OP has requested that a function which actually displays
> > this name be put into CC Mode.  Would it still be OK to do this on the
> > emacs-26 branch, or is this branch now closed for such things?

> FWIW, it would be even better to add this command to which-function-mode
> so it can work in "any" mode.

which-function-mode is something a little different - it displays the
current function name continuously in the mode line.  This new feature
of mine displays the current function name in the minibuffer on typing a
key sequence.  (I am proposing C-c C-z in CC Mode.)

Am I right in thinking the meaning of your "to add this command to w-f-m"
is that
(i) There would be a command to display the current function name in the
  minibuffer, together with a line offset in it, and the other refinements
  currently in c-display-defun-name.
(ii) This command would be available regardless of whether or not w-f-m
  is currently enabled.
?

If so, I agree this is a good idea.  However it would need some key
sequence in the global map (or we could expect each user to set her own
C-c <letter> binding for it).

One disadvantage: this new facility can scarcely be included in Emacs
26, as it would be too big a change at this stage.

I would probably be prepared to work on this.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).