Re: [emacs-announce] Emacs pretest 26.0.90 is out

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: [emacs-announce] Emacs pretest 26.0.90 is out
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2017 18:48:52 +0000

Stephen Leake <address@hidden> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> From: Stephen Leake <address@hidden>
>>> Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 15:41:47 -0500
>>>
>>> Attached is a diff for INSTALL.W64. If there are no objections, I'll
>>> commit this on the emacs-26 branch.
>>
>> Please do, and thanks.
>
> Done

Just looked at this file (probably I should have done before but
didn't!). There are some differences from the way I've been building
the 64-bit Emacs; these might be worth considering either to update my
build scripts or the INSTALL.W64.

Specifically:

====
Then you'll need to add the following directories to your Windows PATH
environment variable:

  c:\msys64\usr\bin;c:\msys64\mingw64\bin

you can do this through Control Panel / System and Security / System /
Advanced system settings / Environment Variables / Edit path.
====

I'm not sure this is necessary; are they not default when using the
mingw64 shell?

====
** From the FTP site

The Emacs ftp site is located at https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/
====

Not sure an FTP site can be located at https. Think we need to update
the header.

====
  git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs.git emacs-25
====

Obviously out-of-date for emacs-26

====
Note also that we need to disable Imagemagick because Emacs does not yet
support it on Windows.
====

I have not actually being doing this, but I have been using
--without-dbus.

====
if your MSYS2 make supports
====

It will, will it not?

I'm also a little dubious about "INSTALL" -- I use the proceedure in
INSTALL.W64 with a few path changes. Do we really need two INSTALL docs?
Finally, is it worth linking to the build scripts?

Phil