Re: [emacs-announce] Emacs pretest 26.0.90 is out

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-announce] Emacs pretest 26.0.90 is out
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2017 22:09:55 +0200

> From: address@hidden (Phillip Lord)
> Cc: emacs-devel <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2017 18:48:52 +0000
>
> Then you'll need to add the following directories to your Windows PATH
> environment variable:
>
>   c:\msys64\usr\bin;c:\msys64\mingw64\bin
>
> you can do this through Control Panel / System and Security / System /
> Advanced system settings / Environment Variables / Edit path.
> ====
>
> I'm not sure this is necessary; are they not default when using the
> mingw64 shell?

AFAIU, only if you install in the default location.  And verifying
these directories are on PATH can never do any harm.

> ** From the FTP site
>
> The Emacs ftp site is located at https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/
> ====
>

> Not sure an FTP site can be located at https.

The URL is correct, so I'm not sure I understand the comment.

> if your MSYS2 make supports
> ====
>
> It will, will it not?

Wanna bet?

> I'm also a little dubious about "INSTALL" -- I use the proceedure in
> INSTALL.W64 with a few path changes. Do we really need two INSTALL docs?

They describe two different development environments.

> Finally, is it worth linking to the build scripts?

I'd suggest first to gather some experience with them.