Re: Three Flymake backends Was Re: Two issues with the new Flymake

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Three Flymake backends Was Re: Two issues with the new Flymake
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2017 09:48:18 +0000

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> On 11/5/17 11:05 PM, João Távora wrote:
>
>> FWIW I installed it and quickly hacked up this. It's the same
>> boilerplate again, with the tiny exception that rubocop needs the file
>> to be also saved for some reason (pure stdin doesn't work for some
>> reason).
>
> Thanks. Is there a place in the code where you are saving the file? I
> don't see it.

No, I misexplained. Rubocop needs the buffer to be sustained by a file,
but then (mostly?) reads from stdin like it doesn't need it. It baffles
me, and possibly also flycheck.el where I learned about it. The flymake
backend just gives up if there is no buffer-file-name

> The backend seems to work fine for me in this regard, but that might
> be dependent on the version, see
> https://github.com/bbatsov/rubocop/issues/2576.

Hmm, then maybe I have an old one, I used apt install on debian.

> That aside, it seems like it didn't pick up the project configuration
> file. Here's what worked for me:

Hey I didn't spend more than 5 minutes with it :-)