Re: windows installer

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: windows installer
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 20:52:24 +0200

> From: address@hidden (Phillip Lord)
> Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 17:01:39 +0000
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> >  I suggest we instead use the user's profile folder. From an initial
> >  probe, this can be found in at least the following
> >  environment-variables on my Windows 10 test-machine: USERPROFILE (or
> >  by concatenating HOMEDRIVE and HOMEPATH ).
>
> I'll fix this.

Just to make this more complex: the Windows platform conventions frown
upon installing stuff in that directory; you are supposed to create a
subdirectory and install there.

And programs should not end up there, they should be under
%ProgramFiles% instead.  The user's directory is for files, not for
programs.

> I'm presuming most people will not add it to the path, but launch it
> from the shortcut that the installation adds.

They _will_ want to add it to PATH if they want to install packages
from the likes of ELPA, which frequently come with Makefiles that
invoke Emacs to compile the Lisp files.