Re: windows installer

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: windows installer
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 23:27:49 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: address@hidden (Phillip Lord)
>> Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 17:01:39 +0000
>> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>>
>> >  I suggest we instead use the user's profile folder. From an initial
>> >  probe, this can be found in at least the following
>> >  environment-variables on my Windows 10 test-machine: USERPROFILE (or
>> >  by concatenating HOMEDRIVE and HOMEPATH ).
>>
>> I'll fix this.
>
> Just to make this more complex: the Windows platform conventions frown
> upon installing stuff in that directory; you are supposed to create a
> subdirectory and install there.
>
> And programs should not end up there, they should be under
> %ProgramFiles% instead.  The user's directory is for files, not for
> programs.

The disadvantage with ProgramFiles is that it requires elevation, which
user profile does not, although user profiles gets mixed up with
roaming. Although, elevation is pretty normal for installation. But I
didn't want to it straight away in case I made the uninstaller
accidentally delete my windows installation.

I'm also investigating making Emacs a portable app (as in
PortableApps.com), assuming everyone is happy with this. This might be
the better route for single user (and portable) installs.

>> I'm presuming most people will not add it to the path, but launch it
>> from the shortcut that the installation adds.
>
> They _will_ want to add it to PATH if they want to install packages
> from the likes of ELPA, which frequently come with Makefiles that
> invoke Emacs to compile the Lisp files.

Really?

Phil