Re: windows installer

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: windows installer
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 23:35:35 +0000

Drew Adams <address@hidden> writes:
>> They _will_ want to add it to PATH if they want to install packages
>> from the likes of ELPA, which frequently come with Makefiles that
>> invoke Emacs to compile the Lisp files.
>
> I haven't been following this thread.  But I was hoping that
> one thing that would come out of it is push-button building
> of Emacs for Windows.  I was hoping too that the result would
> be (could be, at least) what we get now: a build complete with
> binary executables and Lisp source code - but without any
> "installation" into Program Files etc being necessary (i.e.,
> hard-coded).

My scripts build all the distribution scripts with a single command (not
a push-button, unless this includes the "enter" key). But they do assume
that you have msys and the rest installed. At heart, though, they just
run three commands (autogen.sh;configure;make install).

> I, for one, am not interested in "installing" any Emacs build
> (Program Files etc.).  I use multiple builds from different
> releases.  I don't even want anything added, by default, to
> PATH.

I am debating with my installer whether to allow multiple versions or do
the more normal windows things of one version. I suspect the latter is
more sensible because, well, it's the normal windows thing.

> But an easy way to build Emacs for Windows - essentially
> push-button, specifying only an output directory and optionally
> other things that might be relevant - would be welcome.

Other than what we have, this isn't really on my radar. Building emacs
from source is now as easy as I need it to be.

Phil