Re: windows installer

From: Fabrice Popineau
Subject: Re: windows installer
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 01:30:22 +0100

Fabrice Popineau <address@hidden> writes:
>> I'm also investigating making Emacs a portable app (as in
>> PortableApps.com), assuming everyone is happy with this. This might be
>> the better route for single user (and portable) installs.
>>

> But Emacs is already portable. What do I miss here ?

On windows, curiously, but not linux.

You miss the cute installer and downloader. PortableApps is a nice way
to manage portable programmes on what ever device you use. I use it to
maintain a little environment on a shared drive, but have to do Emacs
separately.

Hmm ... besides copying the whole Emacs directory on an usb stick, what else do I
need to do in order to use emacs from this  stick on another computer ?

And BTW, for Emacs to be a good Windows citizen, the .emacs.d directory should probably not be located
in %HOMEPATH%\%HOMEDIR% but more likely in %APPDATA%\Emacs . I am not sure
it is a good path (!) to take.

 Fabrice