Re: windows installer

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: windows installer
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 06:30:11 +0200

> From: Fabrice Popineau <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 01:30:22 +0100
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, Jostein Kjønigsen <address@hidden>,
>       Jostein Kjønigsen <address@hidden>,
>       Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> Hmm ... besides copying the whole Emacs directory on an usb stick, what else
> do I
> need to do in order to use emacs from this  stick on another computer ?

You need to set up the directories where Emacs searches for its files,
like libexec and share/emacs/VERSION.  A USB drive could get a
different mount point (a.k.a. "drive letter") on each machine, which
gets in the way.

> And BTW, for Emacs to be a good Windows citizen, the .emacs.d directory
> should probably not be located
> in %HOMEPATH%\%HOMEDIR% but more likely in %APPDATA%\Emacs . I am not sure
> it is a good path (!) to take.

We use %APPDATA%, and I think it's too late to change that, even if
using a subdirectory would be slightly better.

(The discussion was where to install Emacs itself, not where to create
the user init directory -- the installer doesn't change that.)