RE: poplife-mode

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: poplife-mode
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 19:40:58 -0800 (PST)

> > I just read up on how Drew's library `mouse3' solves the problem.  If
> > I understood it right, it redefines mouse-save-then-kill (mouse-3's
> > normal binding) to respond differently to either a double-click of
> > mouse-3 or two single-clicks of mouse-3 in the same spot.  A
> > double-click kills the region as it usually does, whereas two
> > single-clicks pop up a contextual menu with menu items based on either
> > the "thing at point" (if no region is selected) or the selected
> > region.  This also seems like o good solution.
>
> FWIW, I think a better UI is to pop a menu for a "long press".
                ^^^^^^^^^^^
Why do you think so?

> I.e. bind it to down-mouse-3 but wait a little and if there's not been
> any "mouse-up" event with 1s or so, then pop up the contextual menu.

The active region is not visible as such until `mouse-3' is
released (the up event).  So even if this could be made to
provide a menu for acting on the region, the region would
not be visible.  A user could try to guess where its other
end is, but why?

The `mouse3.el' code intentionally provides for two menus:

* One for actions on the active region, or actions that
  take it into account in some way.

* One for other actions, unrelated to the region.  This
  includes general actions and actions related to the
  click position - for example, action on a thing-at-point.